Every year over 20,000 people end up in the hospital because of carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is put off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, Falso Service Experts is here with a couple tips to safety warm your home.
- Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a distance over three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that powers off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Do not use a cooking range to heat your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned yearly.
The ideal thing you can do for your furnace is to be sure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your furnace tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Falso Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 315-313-6531 today and ask how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.