The Value of Annual Furnace Maintenance
As the temperature drops and you find yourself reaching for the thermostat more and more, you should also reach for your phone to set up annual furnace maintenance. Making sure your furnace operates at peak efficiency this winter boosts your comfort, safety and peace of mind all season long.
Here’s more about what this crucial yearly task includes and why you shouldn’t neglect it.
What Is Done During Routine Furnace Maintenance?
A maintenance call is a surefire way to get your heating system ready for the cold months. Although the particular tasks depend on the brand and age of your system, you can normally expect your technician to do the following:
- Inspect and clean the burner: Over time, dirt and debris can block the burner, affecting its performance. Cleaning it restores the best possible heat transfer.
- Test the gas valves: Making sure these valves are completely open and working correctly is crucial for safe furnace operation.
- Look over the heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can result in carbon monoxide leaks, so it’s crucial to ensure no cracks are present.
- Evaluate and tighten electrical elements: Loose connections can make your furnace hazardous and inefficient. Thankfully, tightening them is a fast and easy process.
- Clean the blower: A grimy blower affects your furnace’s ability to move warm air through your home. Cleaning and balancing the fan ensures optimal airflow.
- Replace the air filter: Clean air filters ensure proper airflow throughout your system, which is why you should always replace a dirt-filled air filter in your furnace. Installing a clean, new air filter also boosts indoor air quality if you choose an effective filtration system.
Why It’s Helpful to Schedule Annual Furnace Maintenance
If your furnace appears to be running fine, is it still helpful to set up a maintenance visit? Here is why that’s the case:
- Decrease mid-season failures: Nothing is worse than waking up on a chilly winter morning to learn your furnace has stopped working. Unexpected breakdowns are aggravating and can leave you scrambling to find someone to fix it. Annual furnace maintenance lowers the chance of unexpected issues because your heating specialist looks over every part of your system, catching minor issues before they escalate into costly repairs.
- Reduced repair costs: It’s a simple equation—the quicker you find a problem, the less expensive it is to correct. By investing in reasonably priced, predictable maintenance visits, you can avoid expensive, inconvenient repairs, keeping more money in your pocket.
- Lengthen your furnace’s service life: Like a well-maintained car, a furnace that receives annual tune-ups will most likely last longer than an ignored heating system. Annual maintenance helps you avoid the expense of premature furnace replacement by increasing your system’s life span.
- Increase energy efficiency: A well-maintained heating system runs more efficiently. When all the components are clean and in good working order, your system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your home warm. This decreases your energy bills and diminishes your environmental impact.
- Enhance indoor air quality: Polluted indoor air intensifies allergies and respiratory problems. The air filter in your furnace traps dust, pollen and other airborne contaminants to reduce these problems. During a maintenance tune-up, the technician will change the air filter at your request, ensuring cleaner air moves through your home.
- Boosts safety: A furnace that needs repair is not only inefficient, there’s a chance it also might be dangerous. Cracked heat exchangers or faulty gas valves can produce dangerous carbon monoxide leaks. Knowing your system has been inspected for any possible safety issues should give you a sense of comfort this winter.
What Time of Year Should You Schedule Your Maintenance Visit?
To enjoy the most benefits, it’s best to plan annual furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill arrives. This is a way to make sure any issues are resolved before you have to call heavily on your heating system.
At-Home Furnace Maintenance Between Formal Visits
Although professional maintenance is vital, you can do several tasks yourself so that your furnace runs smoothly between visits:
- Change the air filter every 30 to 90 days to optimize airflow.
- Be sure that the home’s return and supply registers are open and unobstructed for system balance.
- Vacuum the outside of the furnace with the brush attachment to keep it clean.
Choose Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for Furnace Maintenance in the U.S.
If it’s time for your next furnace maintenance tune-up, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is an HVAC company you can count on. Our ACE-certified technicians provide fast, long-lasting fixes for all your heating and cooling issues. We’re proud to deliver solutions to everyone we can and focus on making a meaningful difference in your life and sense of comfort. We even give our customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee for your peace of mind. To set your heating system up for success this winter, call 866-397-3787 today to schedule furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing.
Zoning Systems: Customized Comfort in Every Room
Central heating and air conditioning systems have reinvented home comfort and made it possible to stay wonderfully comfy in any season or climate. But while centralized systems are a handy way to manage the temperature, they sometimes fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or... Continue reading
Eight Frequent Heating Misconceptions Debunked
There are many myths out there about home heating that create confusion and inefficient furnace usage. It’s time to set the record straight. Here, the heating specialists at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing debunk the eight most common myths to keep your home comfortable... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the cold winter months in the U.S., there’s no better way to increase your home’s comfort than with some effective upgrades. It’s not only about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and removing pollutants from the very air you... Continue reading