Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is running? There’s probably something wrong with your unit. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—issues later. We’re going to help you find out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling usually indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can’t pinpoint where the noise is emanating from, that’s alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can cause noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can come from a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A noticeable noise from your external unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about prevalent air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep using my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s difficult to answer this question without inspecting your system.
In most cases, we recommend shutting off the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there’s something wrong with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it’s smart to get problems corrected right away. Getting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Zoning Systems: Customized Comfort in Every Room
Central heating and air conditioning systems have reinvented home comfort and made it possible to stay wonderfully comfy in any season or climate. But while centralized systems are a handy way to manage the temperature, they sometimes fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the cold winter months in the U.S., there’s no better way to increase your home’s comfort than with some effective upgrades. It’s not only about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and removing pollutants from the very air you... Continue reading
How to Pick Out a Good HVAC System
When considering keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more essential than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This decision influences your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and overall home efficiency. However, with so many system types,... Continue reading